The weather has been so crazy this week! Sunny one day and light jacket weather to full on winter the next! This got us craving chocolate and cake in a serious way. Plus, on Wednesday Steph turned 29! So technically these are Happy Birthday Cupcakes!
There’s nothing better than chocolate in any form. For awhile we’ve been wanting to create a fun flavoured cake, but decided that we would up the buttercream’s game instead.
This cupcake batter is so good that it is great stand alone. But who wants to be alone, so let’s match up our chocolate with it’s boozy Aunt Amaretto and call it a night. Top it with some dark chocolate shavings and you have a decadent cupcake friends.
The Amaretto Buttercream doesn’t have an overly powerful taste, it’s just subtle enough to get that yummy smell and taste without taking away from the chocolate cake.
Hope you enjoy and have a little cupcake for Steph’s sake!
Recipe adapted from Ricardo Cuisine.
- 1 & ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt (we used Himalayan Pink Salt)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup refined sugar (you can use 1 cup if coconut sugar isn't available)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Line one muffin tray (12 cavity) with muffin cups. Use silicon muffin cups for a quicker clean up.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sieve together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars and cocoa powder and lightly mix. Then add oil, eggs, vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on high until mixture is smooth.
- With a hand held whisk, add the dry ingredients half at a time alternating with the milk. Whisk until everything is combined, smooth and no lumps.
- Scoop batter into each muffin cavity, about ¾ full on each.
- Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Let cool completely.
- In a large stand along mixer, combine butter, icing sugar, almond milk, Amaretto. Beat until light and fluffy, about 10-15 minutes on medium high speed.